The realisation of earthworks (roads, railways, flood defences and site preparation) on soft ground involves risks to the earthwork itself and to the environment in which the earthwork is carried out. These risks can lead to unforeseen deformations and even collapse of the subsurface and are caused by uncertainties in the properties and composition of the subsurface and the calculation models used for the design. In practice, the behaviour of the subsurface will therefore deviate, positively or negatively, from what was predicted in the design.
The risks during the realisation can be divided into:
- Deviations from the starting points of the design that affect the planning of the construction, such as:
- Rate at which the ground structure is raised.
- Residual settlement after completion.
- Undesirable influence on the surroundings.
With site engineering, also known as construction supervision, the aforementioned risks can be made manageable and these risks can be kept within acceptable limits.
Site engineering takes place by measuring/monitoring the actual behaviour of the soil (settlements, horizontal deformations and water pressures) during the realisation phase (see monitoring) and by analysing these measurements.
Prior to the site engineering, we can offer the following services for the realisation phase of your project:
- Drafting of a geotechnical specifications report, testing and possibly optimising existing geotechnical specifications (used for drafting the final design).
- Preparation of an implementation design (testing residual settlements, determining the rate of embankment, assessing the environmental impact, etc.).
- If necessary, additional geotechnical field and laboratory research in order to produce a reliable construction design.
- Drawing up a monitoring plan.
For the site engineering during the realisation phase of your project we can offer you the following services:
- Installing and measuring instruments to monitor the behaviour of the subsurface during the construction phase:
- Geotechnical guidance during construction / site engineering based on measurement data from the construction phase (release of embankments, testing of residual settlement requirement / release of residual settlements, monitoring of environmental impact, etc.).
- Geotechnical material testing (determination of erosion resistance category for clay, compaction control for clay and sand, RAW requirements for sand, etc.).
Example projects where Inpijn Blokpoel ingenieurs has successfully performed site engineering:
- Improvement of Drontermeerdijk (Boskalis).
- Reinforcement of Eemdijken Zuid (Contractors’ combination Dijkencombi).
- Site preparation:
- Thiendenland II in Schoonhoven for housing (Vissers Ploegmakers contractors).
- Business park Zevender at Schoonhoven (contractor Vissers Ploegmakers).
- Oudeland industrial estate in Berkel en Rodenrijs (Municipality of Lansingerland).
Feel free to contact one of our employees!
CONTACTPERSON SITE ENGINEERING